Saturday 9 June 2012

Riding out of Riga.

Friday 8th June:

I liked Latvia (apart from the roads) and Riga in particular. It's quite a small place, as cities go, but all the better for it. Reminded me a little of Salzburg, in that it's an attractive place architecturally and the heart of the place is easy to get around on foot. I'd certainly return to spend a bit more time there.

A taste of Riga:

Riding out of the east side of the city, however, was a complete pain in the proverbial. A total contrast to the ease of passage in from the west side. It took us about 40 minutes to clear the rutted roads, nonsensical diversions and the crazy drivers, as we headed up the coast on the A1 towards Parnu. Fortunately, this road was brilliant; in excellent nick and with hardly any traffic, it allowed us to make sensible progress northwards as it wound its way through pine forests adjacent to the coast. It was a stunning morning, not a cloud in the sky and a pleasant cooling breeze. We needed it as the day hotted up.

About 100km north of Riga we stopped to fill up and use up a few of our remaining Lats, as we were about to enter Estonia. We had half an hour checking the bikes over. The Tiger had developed a slight vibration from cold and I wanted to check a number of fasteners, because I suspected something was loosening off. I tweaked a few things, but I'm not sure if it's sorted it. Any road, it's running perfectly, not used any oil and returns 50mpg, so I'm not too worried.....it might be the Cat...in which case I can't fix it anyway. The Scottish Ewok's Transalp is performing admirably; it's not thrown him off yet and he thinks the tyres might last the entire trip!.......Hope so, I hate to think how much Bridgestone Trail Wings are in Norway.

Into Estonia and the views open up. It's still forested, but less densely so, as we loop around Parnu and progress towards Lihula. The rural buildings are mainly wood construction and seem to blend in perfectly with the countryside, giving it a real rustic feel. I suspect that this is pretty much how things will seem as we progress through Scandinavia.

After a quick stop in Lihula, we were soon riding back to the coast and into Haapsalu. We quickly located a small, rustic campsite and pitched up in glorious sunshine...amongst one million mozzies (yes, I did count them). Fortunately, for me, I came equipped with my trusty 'Jungle Formula - Extra Strength', while Steve was relying on his hardy Scottish constitution and some 'Avon' ladies product. Again, fortunately, for me, they liked ginger :-).........ooh, you wouldn't believe some of the places he's been bitten!

Haapsalu's really a very nice place. An attractive town with an interesting history (the castle is impressive and worth a visit) and a lovely sea front. Can't imagine that it's 'bangin' at night though!

The castle and promenade in Haapsalu:

Better make sure the tents well sealed tonight. Don't want them to be dragging my bloodless carcass out of me tent in the morning when we've still got Tallinn to do!

 

2 comments:

  1. Looking good. Looks Warmer (and prettier)than Berlin where weve just returned from!
    Safe Riding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally caught up reading the "Little and Large" comedy tour of the Baltics. Excellent. I didn't know you could write Pikey!! Keep the stories coming and the shiny side up...

    ReplyDelete