Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Circle is Complete.

Well that's it. Job done. I'm back home, though Steve still has another 300 plus miles to get back to Dunfermline. I hope his run home is as uneventful as were the last 160 miles from Harwich.

What a time we've had. Met loads of friendly, interesting people and experienced some fantastic scenery. What's more, there were no major dramas and we're still great mates!

The memories we've gathered will be with us forever. I loved visiting the cities, but for me, nothing compares to travelling and camping in some of the most magnificent landscapes in the world. The west coast of Norway, in particular, is a must do again experience. Ab Fab!

The bikes were perfect for the job, Steve's choice of tyres aside, and apart from that and his crap chain, they never missed a beat. I did about 4500 miles on the Tiger and it returned just over 50 mpg. The bike used no oil and the chain needed adjusting twice (Scotoilers are brilliant). My tyres could just about do the trip again. Apart from the occasional numb bum, the bike gave me no aches or pains. It handled and ran perfectly (cam chain tensioner issue is due to it needing an oil change - they're a hydraulic tensioner apparently) and is clearly a quality bit of kit. Great choice Pikey!

4500 miles of grime. Bet she'll come up like new:

I'm also well chuffed with my choice of kit. My Mountain Equipment Dragonfly tent was ace. Light, stable and quick to erect (phnar, phnar). A Marmot Sawtooth down sleeping bag is as warm as you'll need. The Trangia spirit burning stove is a brilliantly designed bit of kit that'll boil a kettle in a gale! It's not surprising that on a trip like we've had, that you get a bit attached to your gear, but it was in all honesty pretty faultless.

If you're motivated to do something similar.......just do it!

So that's all folks. Thanks for coming along for the ride and I'll keep you posted on the next one. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have someone to attend too......;-))

2 comments: